Saturday, April 23, 2011

Research - Week 8

After endlessly changing my mind on what area of research i would like to focus on it came clear to me that it was neither muscles or transport. I was focusing on areas of research that had a tendency to relate more so to the function of a building rather than a form. Then i decided to step back and re look at what i had already researched and it came clear to me that i had overlooked responsive architecture. To me it seemed like responsive architecture would lend itself to influencing the exterior form. I therefore decided to research another topic:

- The sun flower interacting with the sun

I found it interesting that a sunflower orientates its flowers surface to track the sun. It does this because this is how it is able to soak up as much solar radiation as possible which is needed to for photosynthesis in turn keeping the plant alive. It rotates its face by storing water molecules in the shaded section of the stem just below the flower. This builds up pressure that twists and contorts the stem controlling its orientation. This can be seen below:


While designing my building i would like to in a way think like a sunflower. My building could re orientate itself to best suit the ever changing conditions. It could twist and contort itself to give the people inside the best possible quality of living.

Here is a page of research and ideas, in PINK is my reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment