Saturday, April 9, 2011

Research - Week 6b + 7

I have found myself researching in a very literal sense focusing mainly on function. I would like to begin to research something that could possibly inspire the form of the building. This brings me back to the concept of interaction.

What actually is interaction?? While researching interaction in relation to design i stumbled upon 3 major types of architecture:

- Interactive architecture - having a digital/ technological focus
- Responsive architecture - responding to climate, using nature as an example
- Dynamic architecture - constantly moving forms


If i could incorporate something from each of these my building would have more depth of meaning. The exterior could be responsive to the wind, sun, rain, temperature etc (macro); While the interior could interact digitally with the users (micro); At the same time i would like to explore dynamic architecture as i believe it could be the answer to timelessness in architecture. Imagine a building that can constantly change its form. I have decided to try and research in a more abstract manner to attempt to help drive my form. I had a few ideas that i followed through. They were to research:

- Muscle fibers interacting with energy

Muscles need energy to contract, and to contract they use the filament theory. This can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHzKYDxrKc&
Here is a page of my research:


Here is a basic analysis of the structure of a muscle:


- Transport systems interacting with the city

The transport systems get more dense as they get closer to the CBD. Bus routes, train lines, city cat stops and major roads all run into the city as a 'transport network'. When looking at a large scale the city can be seen as a node point, or a point of 'interaction'.


Perhaps my building could have a point of interaction where everyone gathers and disperses from following their own routines.

- I also looked into what the values of modern architecture are and what needs to be improved to foward architecture into a better tomorrow.

Here is a page of research and ideas, in PINK are my reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment