Friday, April 29, 2011

Building Development - Mid Semester Break

Finally, it is time to begin the drawings! Firstly i needed to work out a floor plan:

During the design of this i had to constantly think about what rooms would be sitting on top of other rooms and i came to the conclusion that i needed a model. Here are a few snap shots of my model: (Thoughts on how the stairs system would interlock are the black marks)







Here is only a small number of the possible arrangements:






The stair system was quite hard for me to figure out. I needed to think of a way to make my floor plan adjustable and flexible. Here was some initial ideas about a trap door system that i refined for my presentation:



Having a developed floor plan and a stairs system made it possible for me to then play with the form in section. I decided to focus on 2 contrasting arrangements to show the diversity of the proposal. Here are 2 drawings in development:


Now that i had figured out the basics of my design i thought i should start fine tuning some of the details, such as how the rooms would move and lift... i was able to come up with a system of rails and hydraulic jacks. Here are some drawings in development:



Even though my building has this ability to move and interact with the sun, wind, rain etc i feel that it is lacking in its ability to interact with people. This prompt me to think about how my building could respond to a persons movements through out and around it. I eventually realised that its circular form could be utilised on its facade! the facade could somehow move as people move. I explored this idea and came up with an idea that the face of the building could be a 'dynamic facade'. Here are some concept sketches:

No comments:

Post a Comment